To ensure the safety and efficiency of your new natural gas appliances, follow these rules of thumb.

  • When purchasing a new appliance, look for those that are designed to meet safety standards. Check the label for certification. This is your assurance that the equipment is designed to meet national safety standards.
  • Have qualified professionals install appliances to make sure they’re properly connected. Never attempt this yourself. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for operation and care of your equipment.
  • Call a professional if there is any irregularity with your appliance, like overheating or the presence of soot around a burner.
  • Be certain the flame on your gas appliance is bright blue. If it’s consistently yellow, call a professional to check and adjust the burner.
  • Make sure a plumber or contractor determines that the equipment is properly vented and adjusted, and that it has an adequate supply of fresh air for safe, efficient combustion.

Pay attention to your natural gas appliances. Natural gas problems like leaks or a presence of carbon monoxide can be avoided if you make sure your appliances are serviced regularly. Here are a few safety tips to help you use the natural gas appliances in your home safely.

  • Follow manufacturer directions for the care and use of natural gas appliances and heating systems. Always have a licensed heating contractor, plumber, or appliance repair representative inspect and repair your natural gas equipment.
  • Check furnace filters regularly and clean or replace them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
  • Keep the furnace unit intact. Don’t remove panels without replacing them.
  • Keep combustible materials such as papers, fluids, paints, curtains, and rags away from furnaces, water heaters, gas ranges, and dryers.
  • Keep your gas range clean. Make sure burner bowls are free of used matches, grease, paper, etc.
  • Have a fire extinguisher near your appliances. Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
  • Keep the pilot lights of your gas range lit. If you put them out to save energy, a dangerous gas build-up can occur if someone accidentally turns on the range.
  • Use equipment for the job it was designed to do. Never use your gas range or oven to heat your home.
  • Make sure natural gas appliances have proper ventilation according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Keep chimneys and flues clear. Have your flue pipe and chimney checked to make sure they’re not blocked with debris such as nests, branches, or ivy.

Use caution! A natural gas leak can cause an explosion if ignited by a spark. If you smell gas in your home, leave your house immediately and call our emergency service number 1-888-784-6160 from another location such as a neighbor's house.