Natural Gas Safety FAQs
- What does natural gas smell like?
- What should I do if I smell gas?
- Who is responsible for maintaining the gas piping on my property?
- What is Carbon Monoxide?
- Who should I call before I dig?
- Important Public Awareness Message
In its pure form, natural gas is odorless. We add a harmless odorizing agent that produces a distinctive, pungent smell that reminds some of sulfur or rotten eggs. This makes it possible for you to detect even a small leak.
Use caution! A natural gas leak can cause an explosion if ignited by a spark.
If you smell gas in your home, leave your house immediately and call our emergency service number (1-888-784-6160) from another location such as a neighbor's house.
For your own safety, remember these rules in the event you smell gas:
- Do not use your electric garage door opener to leave your house. Any motorized appliance could spark, igniting the natural gas.
- Do not use your phone to call us unless you are outside and away from your house. Using any type of telephone could ignite the leaking gas.
- Do not turn any light switches or other electrical devices on or off. Anything electrical, even something as small as a thermostat, may cause a spark and ignite leaking gas.
- Do not try to re-light the pilot light. Leave gas furnaces, water heaters and other gas appliances alone until you are certain that it is safe.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or light candles. Using a lighter or a match could ignite the leaking gas.
The customer is responsible for the maintenance of all gas piping (“customer service line”) from the edge of property line to the gas meter and into your home to all gas appliances. Buried gas piping (customer service line) that is not properly maintained is subject to potential hazards such as corrosion and leakage. For your safety, all buried gas piping should be periodically inspected for leaks. If the buried piping is metallic, it should also be periodically inspected for corrosion. If an unsafe condition is found, the gas piping will need to be promptly repaired. When digging near buried gas piping, the line must be located in advance and digging should be done by hand. Qualified plumbing and heating contractors can assist in locating, inspecting and repairing buried pipelines.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas produced by the incomplete burning of different fuels including gasoline, kerosene, wood, coal, propane, natural gas and fuel oil. High concentrations of CO can cause illness and excessive levels can be fatal.
If you suspect that someone may be experiencing CO poisoning in your home, call 911 or your local Fire Department immediately!
Know the symptoms:
Breathing CO may include the following flu-like symptoms:
- burning eyes
- irregular breathing
Preventing CO in your home
A few simple tips can help keep you and your family safe.
- Make sure all appliances are properly installed and maintained.
- Have a heating professional clean and check your heating and venting every year.
- Between inspections, look for signs of water collecting near burners or vents. Also check vents, flue pipes and chimneys for corrosion or blockage.
- Never run a vehicle or fuel-burning equipment in an enclosed place.
- CO detectors are strongly recommended as an extra measure of safety and can be purchased at most discount and hardware stores.
Even jobs that seem simple, such as planting a tree or installing a fence or a deck, can become dangerous and costly if an underground utility line is damaged.
Simply call one of these state agencies at least two full working days in advance (three days in Pennsylvania) to have utility lines marked at no cost. It's a simple call that can avoid serious accidents.
Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS)
PA 1 Call
Take these steps in the event of a ruptured gas line near your home or business:
- Leave the area of the gas leak immediately.
- Call 911 and the emergency service center at 1-888-784-6160 from somewhere other than the location of the gas leak.